Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A rant: What's at stake here?

In my line of work, I often ask this question of myself and others.

Depending on the situation, the answer is easier or harder to discern, but there is always something at stake.

Perhaps it is one's feeling of belonging to the church and therefore to God. Perhaps it is one's perceived value as a leader. Perhaps it is a measure of control in this one, tiny, area of life. Perhaps what's at stake is one's identity. Or happiness. Or integrity.

Perhaps the Kingdom of God is at stake. As I said, it's easier or harder, bigger or smaller, depending on the situation.

I repeat: there is always something at stake. If there's nothing at stake, you're doing it wrong.

What I mean is this: life is risky. A faithful life is especially risky. You're making claims about reality, eternity, and the way things ought to be. You're making decisions not just for yourself, but for others, and you're committing to live a life that benefits and serves people beyond your immediate family. In a faithful life it's not possible to say, "That's not my problem," or "I just can't deal with that." Whether the "problem" is in Syria or your backyard, it's up to you to make a difference.

[Caveat: This is not to say that one single person can solve ALL THE PROBLEMS. Sometimes you have to choose which battes to fight. And there certainly are situations in which one has no control, whether because you have no power or your power has been taken from you. But the fact that you can't necessarily make a difference doesn't mean that you can abdicate any and all responsibility, or that you then have license not to care.]

Perhaps another way to ask the question: For what are you willing to go to bat? What do you want or desire so much that you are willing to sacrifice and fight for it?

It's a sinful and sad reality that many cannot answer these questions. When asked, many respond with blank stares. "I don't know. What do you mean? Like, I want to be happy... Does that count?"

Every philosopher and theologian of all time rolls over in their grave whenever someone over the age of 11 says, "I just want to be happy." [Another caveat: if you're drunk and whining, you might be allowed to be awfully inarticulate and selfish. I'm talking about a real conversation, here.]

Happiness is certainly a valuable part of the equation. But happiness, in the proper sense, is a bit bigger than one individual life. For one's own happiness is in many ways dependent on the capacity and ability of others to attain their own happiness, and the capacity for society to sustain the happiness and wellbeing of the whole. If your own "happiness" depends on the slave labor of others, then that's not happiness. That's oppression.

So I ask you, what's at stake for you? For what are you willing to sacrifice? Dare I pose the existential question: What's the meaning of [your] life?

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I cast about for meaning in my life and in my ministry (which, admittedly, is not an infrequent occurrence), I can scarcely improve upon the response to Jesus by the father of a possessed boy in Mark 9. "Jesus said to him, "All things are possible for the one who believes." Immediately the father of the child cried out, "I believe, help my unbelief!"

    I have belief in the teachings of God, and I would like to think that I will always sacrifice on for the sake of bettering the spiritual and socio-economic circumstances of others on behalf of that God, but I still require help in my own unbelief, when I should sacrifice or go to bat and am either unwilling or unable. Because like you said, in a faithful life, it's not possible to say "that's not my problem."

    But if I am honest with you and with myself and with God...that doesn't always stop me from saying exactly that.

    Love in Christ,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, thank you for the scriptural reminder. Casting around and ranting is part of the process, but scripture is such a rich resource to guide us. "I believe/help my unbelief" is totally where much of this post is coming from.

    Saying "that's not my problem" can be a great spiritual exercise of appropriate boundary making when you're dealing with interpersonal relationships that are unhealthy. So there's a time and place. My friend Ruthie aptly said that, yes, there is always something at stake, but not everything is at stake all the time. Sometimes you just need a gosh darn break. And that's fair.

    Discerning the right time and season for which problem to take on, and when to rest in God's life-giving embrace... whew. That's a tough one. God help us all in that endeavor.

    Love in Christ,
    McKinna

    ReplyDelete