Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Blurts and Affirmations


image
In my clergy peer group, we are doing a 12 week program called The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. One of the exercises is to write down some of the negative “blurts” that we frequently say to ourselves in our nasty self talk. We are then asked to turn them around into affirmations. 
This was surprisingly and embarrassingly hard! The affirmations sound so cheesy, and the blurts are so mean! 
I found this to be a super helpful exercise because at the very least, it revealed how mean I am to myself. I would never tolerate it if someone else spoke to me the way I speak to myself. 
Here’s my list:
I am too busy and stressed. I have enough time. I am enough.
I am irresponsible. Give yourself a break. No one is perfect. 
I too tired. Be gentle to yourself, and go to bed early tonight.
I can’t have the kind of relationship I want because of my career. God wants me to be happy in life, love, and work.
I am not smart enough. I am actually really smart! And other smart people have told me so! I went to the University of Chicago for heaven’s sake!
I’m too demanding. I deserve good things. 
I am too naive and privileged. Awareness of my own privilege is a strength, not a weakness. 
I can’t sing AND do ministry. Music is part of who I am as a minister. That’s not going anywhere. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed. And very glad you're my daughter. I don't think your affirmations are cheesy. Thanks for introducing me to The Artists Way.

    ReplyDelete